Do I need a work permit?

The Department of Enterprise, Jobs and Innovation is the responsible authority for Employment or Work Permit Schemes. The Department has provided on its website an Employment Permits homepage with links to detailed information in relation to the following key schemes:

For further information, you should visit the Employment Permits homepage of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation].

EU Nationals

Nationals of EU countries do not require employment permits.

Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals

A non-EEA national, except in the cases listed below, requires an employment permit to take up employment in Ireland (the EEA comprises the Member States of the European Union together with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein).

Citizens of non-EEA countries who do not require Employment Permits include:
Non-EEA nationals in the State on a Work Authorisation/Working Visa
Van der Elst Case - The European Court of Justice delivered a judgement on the Van der Elst Case (Freedom to Provide Services) on 9 August, 1994. The Court ruled that in the case of non-EEA workers legally employed in one Member State who are temporarily sent on a contract to another Member State, the employer does not need to apply for employment permits in respect of the non-EEA nationals for the period of contract.
a non-EEA national who has been granted refugee status
A non-EEA national who is a registered student working less than 20 hours a week
Swiss nationals
Non-EEA nationals who have been granted permission to remain in the State on one of the following grounds:
· Permission to remain as spouse or a dependent of an Irish/EEA national;
· Permission to remain as the parent of an Irish citizen;
· Temporary leave to remain in the State on humanitarian grounds, having been in the Asylum process.
· Explicit permission from the Department of Justice and Equality to remain resident and employed in the State
· Appropriate business permission to operate a business in the State

    Tables showing the breakdown of employment permits by nationality, sector and county are available at this page of the Department of Enterprise, Jobs and Innovation website.

    ^ Back to top